Pages

February 4, 2010

Tell Me Thursday - Harp Heaven


Lyon & Healy Harp Showroom

I posted this photo yesterday for Wordless Wednesday. Amazing isn't it? It's not everyday you get to see a whole room FULL of harps.

Last weekend some friends of ours whom we had not seen in 3 years came up for a visit! Hannah, the older of the two, is an amazing harpist. I'd love to call myself a harpist - perhaps I can - but I have only been playing just over a year and am teaching myself. I have a small 27-string lever harp, which you can see to the right there. I am borrowing it from my incredibly generous friend, Raeanne, who is letting me use it until I can save up for my own harp.

Anyway, back to our guests. Friday morning we somewhat spontaneously decided to make the trip up to visit the Lyon & Healy harp factory. What a place! Perhaps it's just that I am in love with harp that made it so wonderful, but this place is amazing. We toured the factory and got to see how the harps are made. Did you know it takes about a year to complete a harp?! Now I know why they are so painfully expensive. :-)

After touring the factory (no photography allowed - sorry!), we were taken to the harp showroom, which was my WW photo this week. Dozens of harps all lined up in every size, color and kind. We were given a "salesperson" and a little room to the side, and any of the harps we wanted to play, they would wheel in for us! And we could play as long as we wished (it was a good thing we got hungry for lunch or we would have been there a really long time! :-) ).

Hannah requested to play a pedal harp designed by Carlos Salzedo, a modern harpist. This is not my favorite harp from L & H for its looks, but of course I wasn't going to NOT play it! The sound was just amazing and as you see from the pictures, it is HUGE, especially compared to what I am used to playing!
Playing the Salzedo Harp

If you are wondering the difference between a lever and pedal harp, lever harps have - guess - levers on them, which allow you to play your notes sharp or flat. Pedal harps use - surprise - pedals to play flats and sharps, and you work them with your feet which frees your hands. You can play more complex music on a pedal harp, and they are much larger with more strings (concert grands - what I am playing in the photo - have 47 strings).
Below is a photo of my favorite harp. I would probably have to save up my whole life to buy this, but it was amazing to play it even if just for a while!

Lyon & Healy Style 85 Harp

The harp I am currently saving for is a 36 string lever harp from Harps of Praise. Below is a picture of it:
Want to help me get my harp? Of course you do! :-) If your blog needs a fresh look or maybe you are just starting a blog...or maybe you just need a signature to end your posts or a button; head over to www.PrairieRoseDesigns.com. Or you can check out the Maidens of Virtue Shoppe. You can know you are helping the harp fund. :-)
Thanks for visiting!

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh yes, that was so much fun!

Life with Kaishon said...

I hope you can get your harp soon. It looks very beautiful. My Mom loves harp music : )

Kathryn Grace said...

Hannah – *happy sigh* Wasn’t it? That was one of the best parts of your visit. Every time I play a bigger harp I get all enthused to save up faster for my own! :-)

Life with Kaishon – Thank you! I hope I can too. :-) Glad your mom likes harp music… it’s very worthwhile to listen to!

laurel said...

Neat! I play the harp too! My harp is from william rees in Rising Sun Indiana. They make beautiful celtic lever harps and they are very reasonable considering. They were able to paint mountain laurels on mine since thats my name! If you want to check it out their website is http://www.traditionalharps.com

your fellow harpist,
Laurel

Kathryn Grace said...

Laurel – Oh, how nice! It’s always fun to find more harpists out there. :-) What size harp do you have? I recently was able to order my 36-string harp (in the photo above), which I am very excited about! How long have you played?

laurel said...

my harp is very similar to yours in size and design! I’ve been playing for about 7 years now. I love the versatility and range of music than can be played on it. I play at a tearoom and have done a wedding. People enjoy it so much!