Pages

March 7, 2007

Tea Time Charm

Do you love tea? I do. I always have, suffice to say that I used to load it with milk and sugar. I have fond memories of visiting my Oma (grandma) and we would always have tea and cookies. As a matter of fact, we still do. My Oma tells me that we (my sister and I) used to ask her all the time, "Oma, can we have sweet tea?" Now, perhaps we don't have it quite so sweet, but tea and cookies is always something we do together.
I hope you and your mother and sisters, if you have any, have tea time quite often. We recently moved to a beautiful 6 acre property, and while exploring the land the other day, discovered several picturesque little spots that would be perfect for an informal tea party; there is a little screened garden house down by the garden, and under one large evergreen, the lower branches had been cut away creating a big "room" underneath, high enough for me to stand up straight. Now, isn't that just the perfect spot for a "woodland tea"?



Tea Time Charm
By Miss Kathryn Y.

Tea Time…what does it bring to mind? I think of little girls dressed up in hats and gloves, sipping tea out of white porcelain teacups with roses painted on them. But Tea Time doesn't have to be just for little girls; older girls enjoy it too.

For me, Tea Time is the perfect opportunity to be a "young lady". It is the time when good manners and proper posture are at their peak. What girl doesn't love to put on a pretty dress, curl her hair, and play at being a "lady"? Sadly, girls these days are usually too caught up in cell phones and goofing off to appreciate the value of having tea. Tea Time offers a welcome rest from the hectic rush of the day. Even if you don't "dress up" for it, Tea Time gives a sense of femininity and grace; there is a certain old-fashioned charm about pouring out tea, and asking your companions if they take cream or sugar?
Tea Time need not always be a "tea party"; it can be informal, or very elegant. Invite your closest friends, or just share a cup of tea with your mother. When girls grow older, too often they shut out their parents, and do what "they want". What a mistake! Having Tea Time with your mother is such a lovely way to keep acquainted, so to speak. Somehow, it seems easier to talk to your mom over a cup of tea.
Don't think that just because you are older than 10 you are too old to have Tea Time; I'm 13 and I love it! I have a tea party for my birthday every year. It's so fun!

So, two sugar cubes or none…either way, it's Tea Time, young ladies!

Article used with permission of FunEvents4Girls.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kathryn~

I love tea as well. We have never had a formal tea party,but have many a casual "tea party". Speaking of tea time, there is a place out by us that makes great scones. It is called the Gallery Cafe (interesting name,eh?).
My favorite teas are Honeybush by Tazo, and Peppermint. The Honeybush tea is made from the bark of an African tree and it tastes like honey.

Good-bye for now.

Love~Moriah